2/13/2012

Army Second Lieutenant




Army Second Lieutenant

Everlasting youth and vitality
inside the rank of army second lieutenant.

In the hot and humid summer training camp,
I was always the last cadet in the standing on the ground.
That was most unforgettable part of my college life.

While Lee Mi-ja’s Camellia blooming,
Dancer’s First Love was revived as the chorus song
in the weekend R and R session
on the darkened ground under the starry sky.

The Youngchon Officer’s School, our last schooling,
and the Second Korean Army Hqs. in Taegu City
I served the first year were surrounded by apple orchards
have provided an enormous experience to my life and poetry.

When my ears were familiar with Taegu woman’s accent
and intonation,
I had to leave the attractive woman’s city for the front line.
There I ran Euijongbu, Moonsan, Dongduchon and Pochon, and
finally crossed the 38th parallel in one evening.

I realized that Imjin River was the river of the division and that
The moon over the demilitarized zone was the same moon
I saw when I was young.

After two years tour, I returned to my graduate school,
but I still love that young officer’s rank.
I prefer one diamond to one star,
because I see my youth and vitality forever
from that diamond.

No comments:

Post a Comment