2/06/2012

Retiree’s last words




Retiree’s last words
           Yearn Hong Choi



The retired teacher sent his books to his country hometown’s library
And to his close students as Christmas gifts.

He did not know where to go next.

Packing the books was a war against dust.
Although I did not open the windows all those years,
The dust invaded my apartment, and covered my books,
Art works and furniture.
I had to fight the black dust for several days and nights.

I threw out many things to the recycle bins: my scrapbooks, papers, and even blankets.
I paid money to dispose my TV set, record player and furniture.

I could not dispose my body, so that I found a way out: a public bathhouse
To clean my dusted body and soul. But the soap could not remove all the dirt.
So I remained in the bath house for a while,
Thinking of my next destination.

When I go out, I will follow the direction of wind:
I will go to the airport to take a plane to a tropical island:
I don’t care which Island, as long as it is warm enough to not need a blanket,
And as long as it is primitive enough to see Paul Gauguin’s half-naked women.

No comments:

Post a Comment